Monday, April 27, 2009

On being picky...

Following on from my last post on being single, I have been mulling over being picky. Oh yes, I know I am, and I momentarily questioned that, but have decided that I’d rather be on my own than settle for a bland or unrewarding relationship. A lot of earlier discussion centred on what the ideal man should not wear. I suppose this is my undoing, and for me, the tip of the iceberg. Aesthetics are my thing.

Aesthetics, along with communication, are the fundamental foundation stones of my work, and carry through into my domestic life. From the way I dress, decorate my home, prepare food, and even arrange my paint tubes, I am concerned with aesthetics. I'm not talking about neatness, just a pleasing arrangement, whether it's colours, textures or tastes. Which is probably why I have been given one of the world’s messiest teenagers, bless her.

But back to the man thing. It goes further than Crocs and white socks for me. I would struggle to go out with someone who had vertical blinds by choice, for example. Or someone who had no interest in the rest of the world. Or who didn’t care about what they ate. Or wasn't keen on animals or children. I love to cook, and my partner would need to share that interest, even if only to enjoy eating the results. For me there is nothing sexier than making fresh pasta on a rainy winter’s afternoon, with good music, a nice bottle of wine, and a gorgeous man to do it all with. Ideally at the beach-house we've rented for the weekend. A man with a passion is my mission.

Tomorrow I am off to another city for a big art party, hurrah! Maybe I will find him there, wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Vertical blinds? I so agree.

    I met someone a few years ago and thought he was quite nice, until I mentioned I was going to a friend's civil partnership ceremony. He made some homophobic remarks and I realised we could never even be friends. I think a moral code, similar beliefs or at least respect for each others is vital, and a sense of humour are high on my essential list.

    Enjoy your arty party, and don't forget to tell us how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, a sense of humour is a must. Homophobes and racists are out with the vertical blinds!

    The party was fun, JUST made it to the gate for the last flight home. I saw the MOST gorgeous man, loose dark curls and 5 o'clock shadow, and big, big bedroom eyes - he came over and said hello, how are you, to which I chirped 'good' like an awkward schoolgirl, and he was gone. Shoot me now! Still, it was fun, and the art was fab. A mad day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear god, you just caught the last flight? Not the last bus or train? Where was it?

    And the gorgeous man sounds.....well, gorgeous! How come we revert to being schoolgirl-like when a fanciable man appears? Any chance of finding out who he was and contacting him?

    ReplyDelete