Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On being single...

After the gorgeous and witty notSupermum’s post on The Harry High Pants n0-no’s list, I have been thinking about being single, and being picky. I am picky. And I am single. Hmmm

I really, truly do want to give love another go, and have been looking. I've had a few dates over the last couple of years, but each one has been lacking. Beginning with the now infamous first date Dinner Voucher Incident, quickly followed by the interior designer who laughed too much, (and insisted on wearing his casual shirts tucked in), the author who talked too much, (and was once caught in socks and sandals!), the toy boy who was great fun but lacked the maturity I am after, the lovely and brilliant lawyer whose girth unfortunately matched his IQ, and the opera singer who was gorgeous but just not my type (and I struggled with the over-bleached teeth which were almost a transparent blue-white, scary!). Picky, moi?

There’s lots of good things about being single; I don’t have to shave my legs that often. I can talk to the cat. I can eat what I want when I want, where I want. I get to hang out with my friends whenever I want. I can curl up with a bottle of wine and watch soppy movies by the fire, whilst painting my toenails, and wearing a face-mask. I can sleep in the middle of the bed, wear comfortable knickers, and flirt in the pub.

But, I think I would gladly trade these things to find 'the one'. I used think that there was only ever one of those assigned to each of us, but now I firmly believe there may be more. I do have someone I am working on, but it shouldn't be that hard, should it? As for the rest of the potential boyfriends (an awkward term at this age) out there, just how picky is too picky?



4 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with keeping an open mind and seeing who comes along, without lowering standards because 'the one' hasn't appeared. If you are actively looking and going to dates like you do, then the chance of meeting someone acceptable is going to be good, but what about when you NEVER get asked out? Like me? I've got to the stage now where it's the last thing I would expect and not even sure I want a relationship after 6 years of being on own. Is it possible to be too set in your ways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I can't lower my standards (I tried, but it didn't work), and I don't think I'm being unrealistic about my expectations.

    I do have the occassional date, but sometimes because I swallow my pride and ask them. Maybe you should try? It gets easier each time.

    Don't get set in your ways!!! Your homework is to ask someone out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, well I never go out y'see. The only place I go to on a regular basis is work (not many men in a primary school!) and the supermarket. This may need some rethinking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking.....There's lots of options, you just need to get out there! I don't bump into any PB's at my studio, or the supermarket either.

    Stop and have a coffee on the way to work, see if there's any interesting regulars. Or have a glass of wine on the way home, take the paper or a book, whilst keeping an eye out. Italian lessons, painting classes, or any groups around that interest you? How about a wine appreciation group - I've often thought there'd be a lot of men there! Or get a couple of single girlfriends together and go out - either way you'll still have fun. (A male friend told me we need to be more than two, or men are too intimidated to approach us!)Plus, there's always the internet! (Which is where I found Voucher man, maybe not such a good idea?!? Having said that, several friends have had success there.

    Are there any galleries in your town? Most have regular openings, which anyone can go to, the wine is free ;), and it's easy to strike up a conversation whilst loking at something on the wall. Ring and ask to be put on the mailing list. Join the gym?

    Getting out is good for you, even without being on a man-mission. As single parents I think we are often last on our own list in terms of care. You have a great sense of humour, get out there!

    ReplyDelete