Friday, March 27, 2009

Lipstick sales a sign of the times

I have to say that I am very proud of the teenager. In so many ways. I recently had the opportunity to observe her at work in one of her many guises as she saves for her travels - this one as nanny. At 18 years of age she is responsible for caring for a 2 year old, often for 24 hour stints. She is caring, thoughtful, fun and firm. She can fold up a pram with more ease than I can manage an umbrella, and get around on public transport carrying all the accompanying paraphernalia. She does the museums, and the libraries, parks and playgrounds, as well as coffee with friends. She laughs at the stern looks she receives when judgemental members of the public assume her to be a teenage mum. She mops up spills and tears, and is devoted to her charge. I know she will be a good mother one day. I'm hoping that this experience will remind her that there is plenty of time before she considers it, however!

On the man front there remains very little. More like nothing really. The one man who would be so right in so many ways remains so very not-right. Hopeless at communicating, stressed, busy and still in the turbulent aftermath of a separation, he is not in the tight space to be thinking of a relationship, unless I am deluded and it is more a case of 'he's just not that into me'. He can be so charming when I see him, and then I don't hear from him again for a long time. My male friends assure me that I am a 'good catch', 'hot' even, and that he is nuts to not snatch me up, but it's not like there is a queue of them outside my house. Unless you count the younger men who seem to be attracted to women my age. What's with that?!? Yes it's flattering, but long-term I just want to be with someone the same age who gets it, knows the same songs and remembers the same moments in history.

On the work front all is well. Other than sales which are not so good. I gather lipstick sales go up during a recession, but art sales definitely do not. I received a great review which was reassuring, and as always, things will get better. Soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment