Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thwarted but inspired.

Thwarted by the teenager yet again.

How is it that you can relentlessly be told that you are sad-sack spinster loser when there is rarely opportunity to change the situation? I have looked for love amongst friends and acquaintances, in galleries and bookshops, and at the local markets and cafés. I’ve even looked on-line. I have tried not looking as advised by well-meaning friends (usually comfortably coupled up, naturally), who assure me I will find Mr Right when I’m not looking. Probably when you least expect it they say, like when you’re putting out the garbage. Well I have been putting my own bins out for years, and have yet to meet anyone there. Love amongst the rotting rubbish of my neighbors’ fettered bins? I don’t think so.

I try to be a good role model, if I do meet someone I’d like to get to know better, I try to get to know them a bit before I bring them home, or even publically ‘date’ them. A teenage Spanish Inquisition on every male name I’ve ever mentioned has put me off volunteering too much info too soon. This makes it tricky. It seems teens are unable to make definite plans, and will at short notice require driving to, or picking up from anywhere near or far. Try planning a date around this. Which means that I usually arrive extremely late, disheveled, and drink my drink far too quickly. Probably not that attractive.

But bless the teenager. She will always let me know where she is, how she is, and tell me she loves me. Even in front of her friends. Things could be a lot worse.

Today I saw the most beautiful exhibition by an artist who had her first show at the age of 57. Beautiful work, although a lot of it which was a bit overwhelming, and a pioneer of her time. I am inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment