Thursday, May 14, 2009

A holiday!

For the first time ever, the ex-husband has decided to take the teenager on holiday. This morning as I drove them to the airport, I wondered how they would cope with each other. It will be a shock to him, not having been in her company for more than 48 hours since she was 9 years old. She on the other hand will be far from friends and home, and a patient, if trying, mother, and is nervous.

So how will I cope? I have a week to myself, a week to ponder the big questions in life, and the small. A week to do a lot, or to do very little. A week to come home to a house in exactly the same state as I left it in. A week to work late if I feel like it, work on my thesis, bring men home (I live in hope!), talk to the cat without being ridiculed, talk to my friends without eye-rolling, and a week to not be a taxi service! I will miss her, but I suspect the break will do me good. No, actually I KNOW it will. First on the list is to buy a bottle of champagne!

2 comments:

  1. Whoo hoo! A whole week? I hope that whatever you do, you enjoy it and it feels like a real break for you. Teenagers/daughters are delightful in their own ways (ahem) but it's lovely to have a break from them too.

    My ex rang on Thursday night to say he was taking the girls for the weekend, which is great but didn't give me any time to make arrangements to do something. Never mind, will just have to chill for the 2 days.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo (ahem) indeed!!! Yes they are lovely, but isn't it great to be able to miss them from time to time so that we can really appreciate them? ;)

    i'm going to chill a bit first (just back from my first Shiatsu with the lot, apparently a lot of built up tension, hmmm!), but plan to go out with a couple of girlfriends later in the week - I learnt about a cute wine bar nearby where men of a suitable age often hang-out after work. Maybe you could have a pamper at home night, and a go-out night as well?

    ReplyDelete