Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A small victory!

I have been a little distracted lately by the threat of a major intrusion into our quiet little street. I love my neighbourhood, it is a wonderful mix of old migrants who grow vegetables in their front gardens, uber-cool young urban professionals, families with young children, artists, musicians and other like-minded people. There are old houses and new, and a few converted warehouses, like mine.

Until now it has been a peaceful pocket in the inner city. You can imagine my distress to learn that the factory across the road had been let to a dog day care centre. Apart from the obvious 'why would anyone have a dog if it has to go to day-care' question, the thought of a factory full of dogs barking all day everyday forced me into action. After much lobbying and many objections, it went to a special council meeting to be decided last night. All the neighbours turned up, and the application was rejected. It was great to see so many people from so many walks of life unite for a common cause, and I am so proud of them. I love my neighbourhood.

3 comments:

  1. That's brilliant news. Sounds like you have a great community spirit there, which is becoming a rare thing nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was a great victory. Unfortunately they plan to appeal, so there will be more work to do....

    You've been quiet the last few days, hope you are well and just busy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sunday, yes been mega busy this week - but only one more week and then it's half term!

    ReplyDelete